Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Thoughts on 23Things

I had a lot of fun working through the 23Things.  I learned about so many resources and was given the chance to actually work with them.  I enjoyed the independence of the project.  This helped me to work through it at my own pace and to spend more time on the technology that was personally relevant and interesting.  This project gave me something to work on alongside what we covered in class.  It was a great change from the traditional structure of coursework, and I wish more classes incorporated this kind of self discovery and report.  I also feel that writing about the activities in the blog helped to reinforce them for me.

I especially enjoyed the mind maps and flowcharts, feeds and RSS readers, and photo/video sharing sites (Flickr & Youtube).  These are the tools that I will be most likely to use in my classroom to improve instruction.  Some of the tools will be fun for my students to use (web based applications, image generators, mashups).  Other tools were less pertinent to our classroom (social networking sites, organization tools, binders), but I was still thankful for the opportunity to explore them.

Although this program is over, I will continue to use information and resources that it exposed me to.  I was introduced me to several things that will help me stay plugged in to relevant information, updates, and new resources.  Blogs are probably my biggest takeaway from this program.  I will follow my favorite blogs through my RSS reader and can easily search out new blogs when I want to learn about something different or new.  I also plan to maintain a classroom blog that will act as a hub of activity, information, and resources for my students and their parents.  

No comments:

Post a Comment